Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Japan - Kyoto Day 2

We started our day with a Mc's breakfast at the Kyoto station, the cheapest we could find, 3 of us ate for under ¥1,000. Then Fata & CF headed off for their business meeting, meaning I had the time all too myself! Armed with the Kyoto city bus map & Guan's list of recommendations, my first stop was the Kyoto Tourist Information office inside Kyoto Station. Inside I found out that the tourist office is primarily for Japanese, there was a single rack of English brochures. A helpful English speaking lady helped point out the bus to take and where to find the buses.

It was off to either B2 or B3 bus stand for either bus 205 or bus 101 to Kinkakuji Temple. Bus 205 arrived first so I hoped on, later I found out that the bus 205 route is longer than the bus 101, but then again I didn't see a bus 101 either way. The journey to Kinakuji-michi bus stop took about 45mins?

Kinkakuji Temple was a 5 minute walk from the bus stop, around the corner on the right. It is a beautiful gold temple overlooking a lake. Problem was I was surrounded by 3 school groups, flooding that first viewing area with over 100 people. I took my time waiting for the people to leave so I could spend quality time with my camera. The stroll around the grounds wwas peaceful only between the numerous groups of students and tourists.

Just to the right side of the Kinkakuji temple exit is the Kinkakuki-mae bus stop, there I took bus 12 to Ryoanji Temple, which features a super zen garden. There were also students there, but thankfully the groups were much smaller and less noisy. There was an American high school group there too. Towards the end of the walk through those grounds, Fata called to say that they were on their way back to Kyoto Station from their work meeting, so I started to head back.

I had to take bus 12 from Ryoan-ji out to change to bus 205 back to Kyoto station. Now, never tell anyone you will meet them at JR Isetan without confirming an exact location in that 10-floor mall. I eventually found them on along the Ramen Street on the 10th floor, it was one my first food experience which needed you to pay at the vending machine outside before going inside to eat. It was a great recommendation by CF's girlfriend.

Allan and I then head back to Sakura Ryokan to grab a shower and drop off his stuff before heading out again in the stifling heat. There is a huge Hongkanji temple just 5 minutes from Sakura Ryokan so we started there, then we walked down to take a bus to Gion.

This is time in Gion we saw 5 geishas! They were gorgeous, perfect in every way :) I hope the shots turn out great! hahaha... Then we spent our time strolling the back streets of Gion 'til we felt lost enough to navigate back to the Duck River and walk back to the 3rd Bridge. Fata had a tonkatsu craving and we found a super yummy place at the covered street mall. Oiishi!!!

After walking around a bit more we decided to take bus 5 back to out Hongkanji, but we didn't know that there is more than 1 :P So the bus took us to the other one, which totally threw us off. We ended up looking up and heading towards the Kyoto Tower to re-navigate back to our ryokan. That walk back took us over 45 minutes and almost a liter of Apple Water from Lawsons.

Tomorrow we will be in the morning Hiakari Shinkasen back to Shinjuku (via Shingawa). Kumxia Kyoto for the great experience!

No comments: