Thursday, June 30, 2011

Japan - Tokyo Day 3

Goodbye Kyoto, we headed towards Tokyo on the 8:56am Hikari to JR Shinagawa Station, the Shinkasen on does not stop at Shinjuku.

As Fata and CF had a 1pm meeting in Tokyo, at the Tokyo Station, I got out earlier at Shinagawa to find my own way to the hotel. Thankfully there were clear signs pointing me to the JR Yamanote Line, platform 2. Shinjuku was just a few stops away.

The walk from Shinjuku south entrance to Shinjuku Washington Hotel was long via an underground pass. Kumxia Fata for the easy directions. Get out via the Shinjuku South Entrance, head towards Lumine 1 and take the underpass pass entrances 3, 5 & 7.

At lunch time I was 'heading up stream'. Sadly as I was early, it was around 12:20pm, the room wasn't ready. Left my 80l backpack at the hotel and went with the flow back to Shinjuku Station hoping to locate Guan's hole in the wall noodle shop. I couldn't find the limo bus counter plus I found a 'wrong' KFC so I gave up and just walked around Keio Store.

That was when I wandered through the food level and bag level and found myself on street level. Miraculously, there was Odakyu Department Store on the left, with a Uniqlo and the 'correct' KFC. Plus the cigarette stand with the Mild 7 sign where I made a right turn into the alley.

The yummy ¥380 cold tempura soba with tamago filled my tummy! There were a lot of noodles but I slurped it all, then watered down the remaining sauce with some hot water and drank it all, just like the locals.

With a full belly a walk through Uniqlo was a necessity. Happy with my new pairs of shorts it was the same long underpass walk back to the hotel to check in. I was so tired and sweaty it took over a half hour to cool off before exploring more of the Shinjuku retail scene.

The 10-floor Takashimaya in the same building as Tokyo Hands took up a couple more hours. Then it was back to Lumine and My Lord in anticipation of Fata's return. My Lord shops were having 'time sales' and it was my first time in a mall filled with screaming and yelling sales girls promoting their wares, they were like human loudhailers.

Fata and CF reached Shinjuku Station close to 6pm. After dropping off the bags, we went in search of the hole on the 2nd floor katsudon place, another Guan recommendation.

The thick and juicy Rosu Katsudon was so soft... no need to order anything else 'cos the set with very very yummy daikon soup and rice is more than enough. And I got a smaller bowl of rice without even asking for one :)

Now it's back to the hotel to rub my tired feet and rest up for tomorrow.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

No comments: