Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 7 (06Feb'09-Fri) - San Francisco

When I sit down at the end of each day I get confused. My laptop's still configured to Singapore time, to better facilitate chatting with friends, but I'm on SF time. So I have to re-confirm the dates and the day for each day's title...

Another thing, today's the last day on our 7-day Muni pass. The 7-day pass is US$24, very worthwhile cos we were hopping on and off the buses very often :P

The morning started with Peet's coffee and a Whole Foods (the one at Van Ness / California) breakfast of minestrone soup and an golden gate sandwich. Good food at a fair price.

With filled bellies, we walked to City Rent-A-Car, got our economy Corolla with a GPS and drove towards Sacramento, 'cos he had to meet some people he'd met earlier this week at the convention. It was pouring rain, almost like a Singapore storm during part of the drive.

Sacramento's an industrial town, so while he had his meeting, I wondered around with yelp's help. Found Wishing Well, a craft supplied store. I got a few scented candles and a votive.

Around the corner from that was Beers Books, good bargains on new and used books. The place reminded me of a library, very quiet... my squeaky shoes were the loudest things there! ssshhh...

After he meeting, I brought him back to Beers Books and he got 3 books, 2 for himself & 1 as a gift.

On the way to San Francisco, we decided to pop by Vacaville Premium Outlets, at least to setlle his mom's gift. We went into Guess, but couldn't find an appropriate white bag for my colleague. :( Good thing he found a couple of belts and a pair of shorts :)

As we were in a hurry, we rushed to Coach to get a gift for his mom. The Coach store was having a clearance sale, over and above the already discounted prices! So we got a US$400+ bag, discounted to US$330, then a further 50% off that! So we had enough leftover to get her a wallet, AND got his aunt a US$64 bag (was like over S$200+, dicounted to like US$130 then 50% off again!) Only if Coach did it for me, I would have been on cloud nine... trust me, I tried... walked around the store more than a couple of times... just not me... :P

Our tummies were rumbling 'cos all we had since breakfast were strawberries, so we stopped for a cheesburger to go, while we drove back into San Francisco city to pick up a friend, then head out to Palo Alto to another yelp-ed restaurant Evvia, along Emerson Street.

It was like a Singapore convention, 7 adults and 1 kid, not all Singaporeans, but all lived in Singapore at one time, and we all met in Singapore. The greek restaurant was super crowded, we had a 630pm reservation, but due to an injury-accident along south 101 which closed the left 3 lanes, we were an hour late! And the table had another booking at 830pm... it would've been nice if they's told us about the 2nd seating when we booked the table... like at home, they'll tell you right away if there's more than 1 seating...

Anyhow, the food was quite good, we had mousaka, roasted lamb and starters. Kumxia Alan & Suzanne for finding, booking and suggesting Evvia. :)

We had dessert down the street at a nice cofffee place. I had peppered-hot chocolate for US$6 + tax! But it was a yummy experience :P

Now we're back at the apartment, packing for the weekend and getting sleepy...

No comments: